About Illyria House
“Be not afraid of greatness.”
The serene beauty of Illyria House has always been an irresistible attraction to all lovers of fine things. Against the backdrop of classical music, fine antiques and 17th century tapestries an enchanting and unique colonial lifestyle experience, complete with white-gloved butlers and a resident duck family, unfolds.
Illyria House is highly appreciated by the discerning traveler for its charm, exquisite cuisine, exclusivity, luxury and unrivalled personalized service.
Our full-time somatologist administers calming wellness treatments in our Secret Garden. In the courtyard of the singing waters our heated pool offers a relaxing respite.
Our guests enjoy regular pre dinner soirees.
As the cultural and political melting pot of the South African people, Pretoria promises a wide variety of destination experiences.
We offer personalized tours to historical, cultural and natural heritage attractions, as well as shopping and sports outings.
We are centrally located with easy access to Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport (25min) and Pretoria/Gautrain Station (5min) and Capital Park station (8min).
THE STORY BEHIND ILLYRIA HOUSE
Illyria House is highly appreciated by the discerning traveler for its charm, exquisite cuisine, exclusivity, luxury and unrivalled personalised service. We offer intimate musical evenings, tours to historical and cultural heritage attractions as well as personalised shopping – and sports outings, including golf. Our full-time beautician administers calming wellness treatments in our Secret Garden. In the courtyard of the singing waters our heated swimming pool offers a relaxing respite.
Despite the fact that Illyria House has become a destination in its own right, it is still ideal as a transition stay for guests on their way home or continuing their travels with a trip on the Blue Train, Rovos Rail, a safari experience, Indian Ocean island holiday or en-route to Cape Town, Botswana, Namibia or Kenya.
Situated in the heart of Pretoria, the melting pot of South Africa’s political and cultural history, Illyria house offers the ultimate heritage experience, stimulating the mind with visits to museums and cultural sites. Treat yourself to a little self indulgence, including spa treatments, activities such as swimming and yoga and a healthy diet. Soothe your soul by simply enjoying the peaceful and spiritual ambiance at this unique and tranquil destination, enjoying outstanding cuisine, music and art – the complete mind body and soul experience.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- Commended by Condé Nast House & Garden as the most outstanding accommodation establishment in Pretoria. – March 2000
- Included as one of the seven “Most Exclusive Hotels in South Africa” – Marie Claire – June 2002.
- Applauded as the “Most Romantic Spot in South Africa” – Getaway – February 2003.
- Selected by the South African National Broadcasting Corporation as having the No 1 Honeymoon Suite in the country.
- Included in Best Hotels of the World by Sven Fritsche – 2003.
- Nominated by 50 leading travel industry consultants as an entrant for the World Luxury Hotel Awards
- Listed in “1001 Places to see before you die” – 2006/2007
- Finalist in the category “Most Romantic Hotel” – 2007 & 2008.
- Included in “Villas and Luxury Hotels South Africa” – The Dream Destination Edition.
- Appointed as one of the “Best 100 Spas in Africa” – 2008/2009
- Chosen as the Number One Hotel in Pretoria – Tripadvisor – 2012 and the no 1 Hotel for Bussiness, Romance and Families
- Included in “ Opulent Living” Volume 1 Afrcan Dream – Coffee Table Magazine for the finer things in Life – 2012
- Best Hotel in Pretoria as well as Best Hotel for Romance and Families – Tripadvisor – 2013.
- PMR Africa Diamond Arrow Overall Winner Boutique Hotel – 2013
Accolade Bussiness Spain – 2014